Thursday, May 3, 2007

Driving


I didn't get a chance to take a picture of it, but this is the colour and model of the car that I was using.

As means of getting to the gym, my GP’s solutions are to take public transit or maybe I could drive there, to which I said I could go with my dad when he gets back from work. The problem is that it would be late, about 7 PM and when would dinner take place? Indeed, maybe it would be best if I drove there, which is what I thought in the beginning, but my parents don't trust me driving. Neither do I. My uncle learned to drive and taught driving lessons in Japan, where he says the standards to pass an exam are enormously higher than Canadian ones. He very kindly offered to give me free lessons, but even when I'm driving in residential areas, I'm nervous out of my mind with his older Toyota Corolla and him beside me. It's also hot, the sun is in my eyes, and, well, my reflexes are very slow. On a side note, his car used to be my mom's car until we sold it to him at a very good price, because his either broke down or was completely crushed, but I can't remember. I'm not good at parking and his instructions are incredibly vague. He only tells me when it's too late. Instructions like, "No, no. Turn it a bit more." and "No, no. Let it go. Turn the steering wheel back. Earlier!" He keeps talking and pointing everywhere so that my head spins, as if it weren't spinning enough when I started, and I don't hear what he's saying or know where to look, so I'm backing out while looking forward or vice versa. I think the worst part is how he selects the parking spots, and I'm not talking about the actual ones he picks - he tells me far too late and says I missed it. Did anyone else's instructor say that it was okay to be in the 'opposite lane' of the parking lot? Even for 'just a moment'? Mine really put a stress on that. After maybe fifteen failed attempts and a few that he made me get out of the car to examine and discuss, I said I was tired before he was able to choose another spot. I feel pretty bad about complaining, because he is taking the time and paying for the gas. In all fairness, he's quite nice about it, even though it's rather difficult to read him. I just can't tell, but at least he's not yelling at me. As I'm writing this, I have a growing suspicion that I'm more poorly coordinated than I had thought and his instructions would probably work on someone else. My former instructor had formulas for where the car had to be, how much to turn the steering wheel, how much to move forwards or backwards, and repeat for every new exact position of the car. I had trouble remembering all the steps, but I think I like that better than having to freestyle. I don't think my judgment is good enough for that.

No comments: