Tuesday, August 28, 2007

My Neighbour Totoro!

My Neighbour Totoro was the beloved animated film of our childhood.
Who didn't want to get to school on the cat bus? I even had dreams about it.


I started working on Totoro at about 10 am this morning and I've just finished at 9 pm. It wasn't exactly constant work, but pretty close. I listened to the audio book for Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis on my laptop while working. I also stopped for some Mika interview videos on Youtube, chatting, browsing, showering, one popcorn break and dinner.

I contemplated about whether or not I should take the time to make arms because I was pretty tired of crocheting by then. My dad thought its tummy was a giant mouth. My parents didn't think it needed arms until I showed them the original and they agreed that it would probably look more complete. I agree. Otherwise, it was kind of like a ball with ears and a tail.

I kind of made it up as I went along. I made a lot of mistakes but I didn't correct them because I figured it was just a prototype and they wouldn't be too visible. Otherwise, I made the other arm, eye, or ear the same way, so it'd be intentional :]


It has little claws, which were very visible in the cartoon. These whiskers are movable, unlike the way I usually sew them onto its face.

It bears a striking resemblance to Catbert.

In fact, the real life totoro is said to be the chinchilla and I wanted one for the longest time.

No comments: