Saturday, April 7, 2007

Emily the Strange

I've been on the hunt for all sorts of Emily the Strange merchandise. I went to Pacific Mall with my 'aunt' Tiffany and after a long search and a lot of haggling to the point that I was dizzy and confused, I managed to decide between three bags, but picked this messenger bag in the end.


This is the back of the bag. I thought it needed a chain or something to make it look complete, so I added one along with a rape whistle.

I'm very impressed that all of the zipper pulls are specifically made for Emily the Strange.


While we were at that stall/shop, I noticed that the lady was also selling Emily the Strange wallets and change purses.


It bothers me a little bit that the change purse is slightly wrinkled and improperly attached to its clasp, but it's fully functional. While the wallet has two zippers for change, but if a few coins were inserted, it bulges and makes it difficult to close securely. It wasn't easy for the magnets to hold to begin with.


I like what it says on the inside of the wallet :]
It also has two layers to separate bills of different denominations or currencies. As well, there are several spaces for cards and a transparent vinyl window for ID.

This is a closeup of the tags before Emily the Strange was added to it:

front back

I've also owned a few items that have a space where you can stick a photo on it. My mom think I resemble Emily the Strange if I were a cartoon and since I'm collecting her paraphernalia, I thought I might as well do my best to add to the collection and the red and black theme.


These are the original items closed. I had purchased the mirror on the left in Hong Kong, but I hadn't really been using it. My aunt in Shanghai bought the four-leaf clover tags with pendent and chain for my uncle to bring with him to Canada to give to me. I've had the key chain forever. It bears the symbol for Virgo and flips open to show a photograph if it were attached. For a long time, it was just completely chrome.

This is what it looks like when everything is opened. There's me holding the camera in the mirror, a cartoon version of me on both the tag and key chain. Sometimes it worries me whether I'm just a little bit on the edge of being a narcissist, haha, j/k.

I've been trying to purchase the original comics and books, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. I attempted to order them online, but I was very disappointed after eagerly awaiting its arrival only to find that it was just an empty notebook with nothing particularly interesting or distinctive about it, so I had to return it, because it was most definitely not worth its price.

When I went shopping at Markville last week with my dad, we stopped by H&M to buy a pair of sunglasses for $7.90. They were the ones I've been searching for - one continuous lens without a break in the middle or rims.


The part that positions the glasses to the nose was really bulky and rubbery, which makes it very uncomfortable, so I took it off and just bent the metal posts inside of it to keep it from scratching my face and now it feels much better, but pokes the bridge of my nose on occasion.

I've taken to wearing bandannas around my neck to hide my tracheotomy scar. I'm not ashamed of it or anything, but it doesn't look very nice with everything else that I've put together.

The jacket isn't the pleather one from the previous post, but it's softer and thinner. I bought it at Urban Behaviour for only $10 and 10% off with my SPC card. I got the sweater in Hong Kong, but I don't like that it has something of a wider collar, so the bandanna comes in handy for that purpose as well. I bought it at one of the kiosks at Scarborough Town Centre with a deal of 3 for $10, so I picked out a bright pink one and a white one, all of the same design but they don't have diamonds on it like the red one does. The brand of the jeans is Miss Sixty and I bought them in Shanghai.

2 comments:

Intensecure said...

Scarborough! I was born in Scarborough, but obviously Scarborough UK, not Canada! ;)
BTW - you are looking very fine in that picture, really good.
And I love the way this blog is so positively focusing on crafts and your creativity. There is some terrific stuff on here.

liquidblackout said...

I was also born in Scarborough and spent the first seven years of my life there, too. Hehe, thanks for all the compliments and I'm glad you like the blog. I'm working on the 24th post right now and I think I've only really been working at it for two days so far. Guess who increased her Wellbutrin dosage without proper authorization?
Thanks a lot! Take care!
<3