Saturday, April 7, 2007

Year of the Golden Pig

I was visiting something of an open market in Shanghai and I happened to see these two pigs hanging on a guy's board, which was where he was selling his merchandise, so I bought them from him. I can't recall how much they cost, but I do remember having difficulty choosing them. Nevertheless, I'm glad I did buy them and I'm pleased with the choice I made:


It seems that pigs are really in this year, but its popularity seems to have started some time last year, so I don't think it's because of the Zodiac year.

At another time, I will explain my obsession with capsule vending machines, but for now I'll just describe the following mini-calender that sits on my desk:


I think it might be because I like to bet, gamble and take risks, so there is a certain excitement that accompanies the use of these machines. I dropped one toonie in the one outside Broadcast Books and Gifts the first time I passed by and got the one on the right and was very much confused. I didn't know how I could possibly display the date with just one die. Then I realised there was a scheme behind this one. I would have to take a chance to see if I could collect the other ones. A few days later, I went back and dropped in a toonie twice and I was incredibly lucky enough to complete the set on a first try!

I believe they had other ones to display the weather or something, but I really didn't need it. Thinking back, these three cost me $6 that could have been better spent, but I guess it made up with the thrill and anticipation involved in playing with these machines. I believe they each came in the capsules in the background, but I couldn't even tell you how many I have, so I have absolutely no idea what the original contents were for each capsule. They now contain a variety of batteries, rechargeable or alkaline as well as different sizes.

No comments: