Sunday, April 29, 2007

Silicone iPod Case

What I'm listening to: Pink - Fingers
I thought I'd add in this feature to my posts sometimes, even if I'm not actually listening to the particular track. I was listening to it in bed, in the dark where the light from the iPod screen was actually enough to act as a small flashlight. I actually heard it first in a commercial in Shanghai. I can't remember what for, but it was probably something like toothpaste. There were a lot of those commercials. I hadn't known it was by Pink, because I didn't have the album yet, but I listened to that for almost the entire time when I was in HK and feeling very down.


It's a beautiful day outside. According to the up-to-the-minute weather forecast at the bottom of my browser, it is Now: Mostly Sunny, 21°C. What am I doing inside? I would have gone grocery shopping with my dad, but he went to pick up his oldest sister, my aunt, and she is incredibly naggy, so I opted to stay home and work on my Calculus and the workbook that I was assigned. Of course, that's what I do everyday - say that I'm going to work hard, instead of hardly working.


My dad came back from his business trip to HK and bought me this iPod case. In an email that I checked only after he came back, he told me that it was okay if we didn't find the iPod. He didn't even know that I did when he bought me the case anyways, because he really did mean it when he said that I'd get another one. Soon.

He wanted to get one with a lanyard so he picked this one for me. I'm getting a...hip bone ache, so I'm going to have to speed this one up. As written in a previous, lengthycomment (sorry Intensecure):

When something finally turns up, especially after abandoning a long search, it's like getting a brand new one for free. In this case, it was better than a brand new one because it was mine :]

I'm not sure how to take preventative precautions against losing [my iPod nano] for good, but I'm thinking on it. Carrying it with a lanyard around my neck is difficult because it doesn't come with a place for attachment, plus it would swing around, get scratched up and in my way. I can wrap the drawstrings of the little bag I use around my wrist and hold it in my hand, but that's not always convenient. Everything I make are unreliable and armbands of any sort feel insecure. I don't always have pockets or ones where it would fit comfortably if I did. Like Batman, I have a utility belt XD but the pockets are too small...and of course I wouldn't trust something like that even with belt attachments made specifically for iPod. Besides, belts don't always match... I've been keeping it in my bag with the cord coming out of an unzipped compartment, because I can't think of anything else safer or convenient. Hence, the complicated dilemma I've been trying to resolve even before I bought it *sigh*

My first MP3 player came with earbuds that were part of the lanyard and they were the only ones that fit, so when they broke, I couldn't use it anymore aside from its function as portable USB storage, in which case, it's too bulky. I didn't have any respect for the one I got next. I don't know why I'd toss it around, drop it often, leave it around and it in loose jacket pockets that I might have left unattended, but I never managed to lose it and it took a long time for it to break. I don't know if I was subconsciously trying to break it, but when it did, the earphone jack gave out on me after all the tugging and wrapping the cord around it tightly. Even then I could still listen to it after tweaking the earphone plug around. What do people do with the cord when they're storing it away?

Good. I got the long discussion on lanyards with a lot of tangents out of the way. I'm quite impressed with what my dad got me, because he often has, let's say, a very different taste from mine when it comes to colour, style, design, object, etc. At first, I was a bit skeptical when he told me about it over the phone, but I said "Oh, you shouldn't have, but thank you". I can't seem to remember if this was before I found my iPod though. I believe it cost him $95 HKD, which is approximately $13.57 CAD. At first I forgot the exchange rate and thought it was $20+ and kind of felt bad about it, but thought that it would be about the same price in Canada. However, that's not really fair since he did buy it in HK. It's of fairly high quality (nice QC), so it's worthwhile, even more so if I didn't have an iPod.

As always, I would have hoped for a red case to go with my red and black theme, but I don't think they make red silicone cases. Either pink or blue are very nice and would go well with summer attire and other accessories. The lanyard is silver, very sturdy and it is entirely removable. It also comes with a clasp, so that I could get rid of it very quickly or I could easily attach another key chain accessory, if I wanted to. It's attached at the bottom, so if I wanted to look at the screen, it would be flipped right-side up.

The click wheel is covered by a thin layer of opaque silicone, which I thought would desensitize it, but it still works well. The silicone is supposed to be unbreakable and it does absorb shock quite well. The screen part has a transparent unbreakable cover over it to protect it from scratches, instead of just a hole in the silicone. It has a very thin frame encircling it, so that it doesn't press directly on the screen. There is also an additional frame around it on the silicone itself to give it a proper finish and prevent the cover from getting scratched when placed or dragged across a flat surface. I accidentally scratched the film sticker covering that I had bought earlier and it was noticeable underneath it. I thought about it and decided to take a risk by putting a dab of hand lotion on it, which could have potentially ruined the sticker altogether, but it disappeared like magic. :]


On the back, is a very tight metal clip to attach it to a belt, pocket, or unzipped hoodie/cardigan. It's difficult to pry it open just enough to fit the fabric through, which is also a benefit, as it is less likely to become slip out. The clip can also be rotated and inserted through the square horizontally. That is almost an impossible task to complete due to its sturdiness, which makes it even more reliable so that the entire clasp doesn't just fall out someday. I tried gently, but I don't think I'll force it or risk stretching/breaking, and it doesn't really matter that much if it's vertical or horizontal since I'll be moving it around and it's current position does have it's benefits.


While there is a hole at the bottom of the case where the earbuds can be easily inserted, the hold button at the top is rather difficult to slide as it is covered, but still manageable. The bottom part of case can be easily slipped off to sync or charge it. In addition, that part is usually covered, making it more water-resistant and less likely to be severely damaged if it were stabbed by something. I'm very pleased with it and I'm thinking up more ideas to accessorize it further without adding bulk.

No comments: